TN Visas for Canadian and Mexican Professionals

A Canadian or Mexican national may use TN status to work in the United States pursuant to the terms of the USMCA (United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement, formerly NAFTA).  It is available only for certain occupations that are listed in the agreement.

Examples of USMCA occupations include accountants, engineers, post-secondary teachers, and registered nurses. Most of the occupations require at least a bachelor’s degree or the foreign equivalent, although some selected occupations, such as a scientific technician or management consultant can be based on experience. An employer must make the job offer.

Mexicans are required to obtain a TN visa.  Canadians are visa-exempt, but must apply for TN status at the port of entry. 

TN status may be granted for up to three years and is renewable without express limit.

IMMLAW Attorneys who practice in this area include…